Kodi is the ultimate media center software for your living room. Kodi is available for all popular operating systems like Android, Windows and Linux. When using Kodi in your living room you may want to use the software on a dedicated piece of hardware or box. If that’s the case check out our ultimate guide down below which lists the Top 5 Kodi devices and boxes including streaming boxes, detailed specifications and recommendations for any budget.
Fire TV Cube
CPU: 2.2 GHz quad-core + 1.9 GHz dual-core | Storage: 16 GB | RAM: 2 GB | OS: Fire OS (Android) | 4K: Yes | Network: Ethernet + WiFi
The Fire TV Cube is the latest addition to the Amazon Fire TV device lineup. Compared to the Fire TV Stick the Cube comes with much better hardware compontens and specifications. The main CPU has six cores overall – four cores with a clock rate of 2.2 GHz plus two separate ones clocking at 1.9 GHz.
The Cube, which has the size of a small speaker, has 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB internal flash storage for apps and files. The device is shipped with all accessories you need: A remote control including batteries, the power adapter, an infrared receiver and even an USB ethernet adapter for a network cable connection.
Some highlights are 4K video and Dolby Vision plus Dolby Atmos support. With the integrated microphone you can control the Cube without the remote control. Fire OS is based on Android and supports all common streaming apps like Netflix, Disney+, DAZN and more. With a couple of setting changes you can also sideload Android apps with APK files.
The Fire TV Cube is without a doubt one of the best Kodi devices. In fact according to several benchmarks the Kodi performance is even better than on the Nvidia Shield TV which costs twice as much.
- The fastest, most powerful Fire TV streaming device.
- From across the room, just ask Alexa to turn on the TV, dim the lights, and play your show.
- Control compatible soundbar and A/V receiver, and change live cable or satellite channels with your voice.
- With the built-in speaker, ask Alexa to check the weather, turn off the lights, and more – even when the TV is off.
- Access to 4K Ultra HD content, plus support for Dolby Vision and HDR, HDR10+.
Nvidia Shield TV (2019)
CPU: 1.9 GHz quad-core | Storage: 16 GB (Tube 8 GB) | RAM: 3 GB | OS: Android TV | 4K: Yes | Network: Ethernet + WiFi
To this day the Nvidia Shield TV is the fastest and best performing Android box on the market. This of course means that the box is also one of the best Kodi devices.
The focus of the Nvidia Shield TV is on entertainment and gaming. Besides Kodi all popular streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and DAZN are supported. If you are using a Nvidia graphics card in your computer you can also stream games from your PC to the Shield TV. Sideloading apps is also possible and recommended when you want to use apps which are not available through the official store.
The Shield TV is using a quad-core Tegra X1+ processor with clock speeds up to 1.9 GHz. Memory-wise the device is equipped with 3 GB of RAM and 16 GB flash storage. It’s supporting 4K streaming, DTS-X surround sound, Dolby Atmos and AI upscaling for better video quality.
The entertainment device is available in two different versions: The standard edition comes in a tube form (comparable to a Fire TV Stick) while the “pro” version has the classic box design. The hardware specifications are almost identical, however some details are different: The Nvidia Shield TV tube has 8 GB of flash memory and the USB ports are replaced by a Micro-SD-card-reader.
Both devices are shipped with a high-quality remote control. Of course you can also navigate through Android TV with the voice control feature. If you are streaming and playing a lot of games you might want to check out the controller which Nvidia is offering separately.
All in all the Nvidia Shield TV is not only one of the best Kodi devices, but possibly the best at all. With that TV box you get top notch quality from the high-end segment of the market.
- The Best of the Best. SHIELD TV delivers an amazing Android TV streaming media player experience, thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3.0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, 3 GB RAM, and 16 GB storage.
- Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
- Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, more RAM, the expandability of 2x USB 3.0 ports, and Plex Media Server. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5.0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
- Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix,YouTube, Prime Video, Disney + and Hulu. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite and GeForce Now. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.
- Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Echo.
- Fast. Really Fast. SHIELD TV takes media streaming to a whole new level, powered by the NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor, SHIELD TV is the world’s most powerful Android TV streaming media player.
- Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround sound—delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling.
- Best-In-Class Design. The new SHIELD TV is compact, stealth, and designed to disappear behind your entertainment center, right along with your cables. With Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, a built-in power supply, and a microSD card slot for storage expansion, it is powerful, feature-packed, and built for behind-the-scenes brilliance. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons—including a user-customizable button. With voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in lost remote locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
- Unlimited Entertainment. Get the most 4K content of any streaming media player. Watch Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+ and Vudu in crisp 4K HDR, and YouTube, Hulu Live, Google Play Movies & TV, and more in 4K. Stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today’s most popular games like Fortnite with GeForce NOW
- Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Echo.
- The official controller for SHIELD portable and SHIELD Tablet. Support for GeForce-equipped PCs coming soon.
- Redesigned from the ground up for precision gaming
- Dual vibration feedback
- Stereo headphone jack for private audio
Fire TV Stick 4K
CPU: 1.5 GHz quad-core | Storage: 8 GB | RAM: 2 GB | OS: Android TV | 4K: Yes | Network: WiFi
One of the best Kodi devices – and the most popular for sure – is the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K. It’s a more powerful version of the base model called Fire TV Stick. The device has the size of a small USB stick and is plugged in directly into one HDMI port of your TV.
The Fire TV Stick 4K comes with a quad core processor clocking at 1.5 GHz. The device has 2 GB of RAM and an internal storage with a size of 8 GB for applications and files. The Stick supports 4K ultra high-definition, HDR and modern Wi-Fi standards.
When you are thinking about buying a Amazon Fire TV with a limitied budget we highly recommend the Fire TV Stick 4K which performs significantly better than the standard version. The device is the best bang for the buck at the moment.
- Cinematic experience - Watch in vibrant 4K Ultra HD with support for Dolby Vision, HDR, and HDR10+.
- Home theater audio with Dolby Atmos - Feel scenes come to life with support for immersive Dolby Atmos audio on select titles with compatible home audio systems.
- Endless entertainment - Stream more than 1 million movies and TV episodes from Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, Peacock, and more, plus listen to millions of songs. Subscription fees may apply.
- Live and free TV - Watch live TV, news, and sports with subscriptions to SLING TV, YouTube TV, and others. Stream for free with Pluto TV, IMDb TV, YouTube and more.
- Alexa Voice Remote lets you use your voice to search and launch shows across apps. Plus, control power and volume on your TV and soundbar with a single remote.
Raspberry Pi 4
CPU: 1.5 GHz quad-core | Storage: optional micro SD card | RAM: up to 8 GB | OS: none pre-installed | 4K: Yes | Network: Ethernet + WiFi
The Raspberry Pi is the world’s most popular single-board computer with endless use cases. The newest version, the Raspberry Pi 4, is equipped with substantial better hardware components and faster than ever before.
With a 1.5 GHz quad-core CPU and up to 8 GB of RAM the mini PC is able to output and play 4K videos at 60 Hz. This makes the Raspberry Pi 4 one of the best Kodi devices when dealing with a limited budget or space in your living room. On top of that you get fast USB 3 ports, a gigabit network port, Bluetooth 5.0 and 802.11ac Wi-Fi.
Before using the Raspberry Pi as a media center you have to install specific operating systems like LibreELEC (external link) which is based on Linux and contains nothing but Kodi. The device will boot right into your media center so you don’t have to hassle around with updates, driver errors and other troubles.
On Amazon you can find several accessories like custom cases, SD cards, additional cables, heatsinks and more. We recommend to buy one a quality case and a SD card for the operating system.
- Raspberry Pi 4 4GB Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core ARMv8 CPU, 4GB RAM.
- 32GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
- ARCADORA Premium Raspberry Pi 4 Case(9-Layer Transparent Case) with Integrated Fan Mount, Low Noise Bearing System Fan
- 5.25V/3A USB-C Raspberry Pi 4 Power Supply, Set of Heat Sinks, Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable
- USB-C PiSwitch (On/Off Power Switch for Raspberry Pi 4)
- powful cputhe cpu of the raspberry pi 4 model b adopts the latest arm cortex-a72 architecture, which is also used in high-performance smartphones, and has evolved into a real pc.the operating clock has been changed from pi3's 1.2ghz to 1.5ghz, and the speed has become a different dimension with the updated architecture.
- video output/gputhe on-board gpu of the raspberry pi 4 supports 4kp@60 and newly supports h.265 decoding, opengl es 3.0, etc.as for the video output, two micro hdmis with smaller connectors are installed, and the raspberry pi 4 also supports dual screen output.
- usb 3.0with a new soc, the speed of the raspberry pi 4 around i/o has been improved, and finally usb 3.0 is supported.usb boot is faster and more convenient.
- network&bluetoothgigabit ethernet (wired lan) has also been significantly speeded up from 300mbps of pi 3b + to 1000mbps (logical value).in addition, bluetooth supported version has been upgraded to 5.0, and the transfer speed of pi 4 has been doubled.
- power input connectorthe power input connector of the raspberry pi 4 has been changed to usb type c. it is easier to use than micro usb and can supply a larger current reliably.the power requirement of raspberry pi 4 model b is 5v 3.0a, which is higher than the previous model.
- Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1. 5GHz---4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM
- 2. 4 GHz and 5. 0 GHz IEEE 802. 11B/g/n/ac Wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5. 0, double-true Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 × USB 3. 0 ports, 2 x USB 2. 0 Ports---2 × micro HDMI ports supporting up to 4Kp60 video resolution
- 2-lane MIPI DSI/CSI ports for camera and display--4-pole stereo audio and composite video port--Micro SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
- Requires 5. 1V, 3a power via USB Type C or gpio-poep (power over Ethernet) enabled (requires PoE hat-not included)
Beelink GT King Pro Android TV Box
CPU: 1.8 GHz quad-core + 2.21 GHz dual-core | Storage: 64 GB | RAM: 4 GB | OS: Android 9.0 | 4K: Yes | Network: Ethernet + WiFi
Android TV boxes are still a thing on the market for streaming devices. These boxes usually come from China with strong hardware components and a cheap price tag. The Beelink GT King Pro is one of the more popular Kodi devices and boxes for video streaming in general.
The blue box with the extravagant design comes with six CPU cores – two high performing cores clocking at 2.21 GHz and four cores with a clock rate of 1.8 GHz. The Beelink GT King Pro is equipped with 4 GB of RAM and a storage capacity of 64 GB which is more than other Android TV boxes usually have.
The first thing you will notice is the sheer amount of connection ports. The GT King Pro is offering a HDMI 2.1 port, a VGA port for older monitors, a 3.5mm audio jack, an Ethernet port, four USB 3.0 ports (one with OTG) and a micro SD card reader. The box is supporting 4K video output up to 75 fps and 3D.
Many Android TV boxes can be a pain to deal with. However the Beelink GT King Pro is still one of the best Kodi devices and boxes when you don’t want to rely on first-party hardware.
- [Make Your Home Become A Cinema] Beelink GT-King Pro adopts the latest Amlogic S922X-H chip (Quad-core Cortex-A73 @ 2.21 GHz Dual-core Cortex-A53 @ 1.8 GHz), which is the strongest chip in TV box at present. This TV box features high-end Hi-Fi lossless sound quality
- [Amlogic S922X-H Hexa-core CPU ARM G52 MP6 GPU] With the high-performance CPU GPU, making the GT-King Pro TV box runs fast and smoothly with excellent heat-dissipation, never worry about buffering and overheat while you are watching movies or playing games.
- [4GB RAM 64GB ROM] 4GB RAM 64GB ROM storage memory allows you to display HD video smoothly and download massive resources from the Internet, it is large enough to store large numbers of movie and Applications and browse the web etc.
- [2.4G Voice Remote Control] Just speak to the 2.4G voice remote control, and it will operate the TV box based on your demand, such as the best action movies, today's weather or the latest news.
Why to Choose One of the Best Kodi Devices and Boxes
Using the open source and free media center Kodi on your computer or phone is fun. With Kodi addons you have access to an unlimitied amount of streamable video content.
However movies, TV shows, live TV and other videos are more enjoyable on large and big screen TVs in your living room with appropriate visual and audio quality. We recommend using a dedicated device for Kodi, e.g. a streaming box or mini computer.
Nowadays small living room and entertainment devices are affordable and come with enough hardware power to output 4K video content, multi-channel audio and special effects. Your Kodi experience will benefit greatly when using one of the best Kodi devices from our list.